Thursday, October 1, 2009

And then his saturday celebration...

So, on Saturday I decided to make a cherry cobbler for Court's birthday because it was a recipe I had been wanting to try out for a while and it sounded like something he might like. So, I headed to Trader Joe's for the canned cherries (let me tell you those baby's are good! Even just straight from the jar! YUM) and for some dry red wine. Now never having purchased wine before it was a little hard to figure out which one I should buy but I finally settled on a cheap one that looked like it was supposed to be a dry red wine.

After dinner we got to work making it (so that it would still be warm when we added the ice cream and ate it!) and wouldn't you know I had forgotten that to open a bottle of wine you have to have a corkscrew...and we didn't have one anywhere! So, after using a pocket knife, a corn on the cob holder, and a real knife (which resulted in it almost being pushed down into the bottle...and spraying wine all over Richard (my brother) and the kitchen ) we finally just used a knife sharpener (you know the long skinny thing that came with your knife set) and pushed it all the way down in the bottle.


It was an interesting recipe that had you cook the topping as biscuits first so that they wouldn't get soggy on the top of the cobbler.

Not soggy!!

Anyways, it tasted a little bit odd...and I think that if we make it again we'll either find something else to replace the wine or maybe buy a better wine. :) Because maybe 6.99 Trader Joe wine wasn't what the Cooking Illustrated magazine meant when it said dry red wine.:)

No comments: